10th International Airborne Wind Energy Conference (AWEC 2024) in Madrid

Rachel Leuthold talking about estimating the induction factor (less power when extracting more energy from the wind) using th lifting line model, using awebox.

Super interesting, potentially super useful. Mac Gaunaa also holding a talk on the subject

Rachel is involved in the awebox simulation software, lets hope this could be implemented some time soon

4 Likes

Im trying to get my head around Austin Monell’s twin kite concept. Its a bit like KPS’ system but acting within the cycle. One kite is helping the other fight gravity. I think there is some interesting insight here. Interesting. Surprised in a positive way about this one.

2 Likes

Zakeye Azaki presenting a drone with a magnus effect wing. Really interesting stuff. Magnus effect seems to be making a comeback to AWE this time with efforts from gipsa lab and Wind Fisher

1 Like

The bridle helps «slingshot» launching of the kite. The geometry is adjustable by an onboard winch. Presented by Gabriel M. Fernandes of the UPWIND project

1 Like

Swift Airgen experimenting with rotating kite launch

1 Like

@Rodread sharing lessons learned. Thanks for candid sharing, this will be valuable for the community.

Key takeaways: Peter Lynns lifter in the small size performed better than larger sizes, blade weight, safety when handling lines at scale and on deciding when to stop.

3 Likes

Per Lindholdt from Diinef presenting a generator to electricity based on digitised hydraulics that does power smoothing. Many fewer and cheaper components. Is it worth introducing hydraulics? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Kitepower sharing videos from flight testing at their new site in Ireland. Claiming to be flying 50% of days which sounds strong.

2 Likes

KiteKRAFT reporting >100 dockings and undockings. System seems to be relatively complete

1 Like

Thomas Hårklau presenting mass per power produced for different tech (disclaimer Thomas is my boss)

1 Like

More from Kitemill’s Thomas Hårklau. AWE should target MW constrained market due to higher capacity factor

1 Like

Bonus dinner (weirdly everyone is on their phone)

2 Likes

More pause than stop

1 Like

The CT and UC3M ground station with an older 40m Kitemill ILE kite

And their steering principle

1 Like

Calls for more data sharing and digitalisation from Sarah Barber

2 Likes

Enerkite amazing wing design
The performance is amazing
Presented by Nicole Allgaier

1 Like

I was just reading the book today. The CPECC/CEDC parachute based power plant claims to achieve a nominal power of 2.4 MW. I have a feeling these deserve a more prominent place in the AWE community consciense. Anyone attend their talk who can elaborate?

1 Like

I have a vague memory of complimenting them on the scale of their plant equipment and asking what the actual power output was

And getting a generic vague answer back

Still and all
It actually looks like it does function
Which is impressive

1 Like

Dumping 2.4 MW to anywhere seems like a challenge of its own, given that power is not constant.

200m is the reference height for AWES power curves from now on
(I’m gonna need a bigger stick)

1 Like