Airborne Wind Energy Prepares for Take Off

Peter Weiss, a Senior Technology Writer has published a great News & Highlights item on Airborne Wind Energy for the scientific journal Engineering. Check out the online version here https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eng.2019.12.002 or the uploaded PDF. The article is open access.
Airborne Wind Energy Prepares for Take Off.pdf (494.5 KB)

2 Likes

Hi @rschmehl,

This paper seems to focus on fly-gen and yoyo methods. More I analysis other methods more I think AWE game could be between these two main architectures (and also perhaps some TRPT, without forgetting @Kitewinder kiwee which is the only one marketed AWES). But you have known that for a long time :wink:.

Beside it I remember to ask International Energy Agency (IEA) executive director Fatih Birol (who is mentioned in this report) about high altitude wind energy at the World Congress of Energy (WEC) Montreal 2010. He confirmed the high potential. But AWES are not be evoked with him, although I presented it.

The drone became damaged and unusable as it missed its mark due to a ‘‘subtle and unexpected aerodynamic effect” a Makani spokesperson said, and plunged into the water.

Interesting, as not much information about this has been released as far as I know.

Hi @PierreB, this article was compiled after the AWEC 2019, to summarize what had been reported at the conference. The author focuses on some of the highlights of AWE (it is in the Highlights section;-) with some contributions from experts that the author had contacted on own initiative. Most importantly to promote your technology within the AWE and larger WE community: be present at the conferences, present your concept, engage in discussions with peers, etc.
Upcoming events are the

This list is not complete and focuses on the more scientifically oriented conferences in Europe. All are under the auspices of the European Academy of Wind Energy. The Torque and WESC both have themes/presentation tracks on AWE, while the AWEC is, as you know, fully dedicated to the technology.

I refered in old schemes such like US 3987987 figure 5, compared to yoyo method.

I am going to criticize different concepts, especially mine. If I find something (sure and powerful by land area used) that can really work, I shall be happy to share it.

The article reads like it is commercially lead.
That sucks for AWES design diversity…
Too commercial was the same criticism given to my rebutted attempt to submit an abstract to Torque2020 on Kite Turbines and Scaling Airborne Wind Energy Systems using Networks

Torque_2020_Abstract.docx (313.7 KB)

1 Like

Hi @rschmehl, things are speeding up and the latest news from Makani seems to prompt we to reconsider the article you have joined. Indeed two major architectures are considered: rigid flygen wing (Makani), and flexible wing in yoyo mode (SkySails and Kitepower). Should the research axes focus on the second architecture (“minimizing weight and equipment aloft” (Chris Carlin))?