Bryan Roberts' Gyromill (Sky WindPower)

@tallakt, I cross-checked data. The graph on page 45 is essential for that. It shows that the glide number is 1 when the angle of attack of the plane rotor is 45 degrees, leading to an angle of elevation of also 45 degrees as I mentioned. And both Sky WindPower and Kiwee are stationary devices as only the blades work crosswind. So I tried to compare stationary devices.

Certainly these are old data but I have not found equivalent recent data, except by the glide number of a more recent rotor which is a little more efficient.

Anyway, a glide number of 5 is completely impossible with an angle of attack of 45 degrees.

On the graph a glide number close to 5 is approached with an angle of attack of a few degrees, at most 10 degrees according to this document and other documents on gyroplanes that I have consulted. You can see on the graph that the coefficients are low.

So I think my approximation stands, although I did not take account of the weight of the HAWT (Kiwee) or gyroplane (Sky WindPower). And 1.7 m² kite area at 45 degrees elevation angle would correspond to 2 times more kite area at more than 60 degrees which is the angle used by Kiwee with a lifter kite of 4 m² for a turbine sweeping 1 m², corroborating my approximation, except that the drag coefficient of the HAWT rotor of 1 would probably be more appropriate than 1.2 indicated on the graph for a gyroplane rotor.

Now things are very different if you use the gyroplane as crosswind device as I also suggested:

I think you suggested also a crosswind flight by:

Indeed even with low coefficients of lift (Cl something like 0.2) for a still smaller coefficient of drag and for an angle of attack of 10 degrees, it would be interesting. The graph shows that an angle of attack of 15 degrees allows a good compromise with a Cl of 0.6 and a Cd of 0.2, so a glide number of 3. I evoked Crosswind gyroplane? But for now and for the comparison I made on my previous message, we were on stationary devices.

1 Like