Co-Flow Jets

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326025085_Understanding_boundary_layer_suction_and_its_e_ect_on_wings_-_A_review

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/boundary-layer-suction

Thank You Pierre - no time to read a whole paper on related concepts and then try to guess how this ship propulsion idea is supposed to work. I’ll just leave it at the “press-release breakthrough” / “published-rendering” stage, assume it will never be built, and if it is, that it will be abandoned as unworkable in some way. :slight_smile:

Here;s the latest EVTOL news = reminds me of Makani;s last flight:

[Second high-profile test flight crash rocks eVTOL industry (newatlas.com)](Second high-profile test flight crash rocks eVTOL industry

1 Like

Latest “news” on CoFlow Jet enhanced wings:
Coflow Jet CFJ-VTOL (concept design) (evtol.news)

And here’s their co-flow website, advertising its “million flies”, same-as-the-rest, EVTOL concept for “urban mobility” designed, presumably, to get people to the airport faster! (like all the rest).
Home - coflowjet

On the one hand, this latest possible “Professor Crackpot” (?) is working with NASA etc. talking up a really heavy electric airplane for flying the near vacuum of Mars, at around 3000 feet altitude (even thinner air).

So the atmosphere in Mars has 0.00646 (only 6.46 thousandths!) of the air pressure on Earth. That’s by far less than 1% of the air thickness on Earth. If you consider the lower gravity on Mars, you’re dealing with about 1% of the “required” lift available on Earth.

Meanwhile, all they have are renderings and promises.
As I’ve pointed out in previous messages in this topic, IF they were serious, IF they really had something workable, WHY wouldn’t they be winning STOL (short takeoff and landings) competitions NOW? It seems to me this would be the obvious place to prove what they have.

And before that, as I’ve also pointed out, what about RC models? If building a CoFlow Jet wing system for a mere Piper Cub is “too much work” or “too hard” or “too complicated” or “too expensive” for the good professor, why not build a prototype at RC scale?

This reminds me of AWE and “replacing hardware with software” - after 15 years, nobody has had time to write the software yet? To even have an AWE system working on a daily basis at RC model airplane scale? Why?

This “syndrome” never seems to end. Learned “professors” in their “ivory towers” talk of endless possibilities in aviation, but can’t build even the simplest prototype to demonstrate their claims, while determined, enthusiastic individuals, most probably without even a college degree at all, build modified versions of Piper Cubs that win STOL competitions, leaving the good professor stewing in his endless renderings and outlandish(?) claims.

It is interesting to note if you go to the CoFlow.com website, they do mention the difficulty of even the basic concept of powering airplanes electrically (basically a flying battery pack, with no weight capacity left for passengers or cargo), but that doesn’t stop them from combining (on paper only, of course) electric power, AND distributed propulsion (lots of small propellers) with their CoFlow jet concept.

This is one more instance (symptom) of “The Professor Crackpot Syndrome”: combining several new ideas together, but with the supposed focus on their one actual (supposedly, but not really) “new” idea, which serves to add just enough confusion and uncertainty about the whole combination to fool even the supposed “experts” and decision-makers.

So you have the idea of “CoFlow Jets” to add to the lift capability of a wing. “All-ya-gotta-do-is” add slots, ducting, and compressors inside the wings to prove that your idea will work. But no, that would be too easy, right? You would “easily” either prove, or disprove, your “theory” that it is a good idea. But no, it’s the “disprove” part they seek to avoid.

How do they avoid disproving their theory? Add complication! Add more irrelevant details until the whole thing is suddenly way too complicated to ever build.

You COULD build an RC model, even electrically-powered.
You COULD build a Piper Cub style STOL airplane and win the existing competitions.

But no, that might put a quick end to your nonsense, since maybe you would NOT win the STOL competitions. Maybe your RC scale model would not really work so well. So they avoid that, and instead

Talk about a difficult-to-build, very heavy, very expensive, full-size, passenger-carrying “flying battery” that would be believably too difficult to actually build, and require years of intensive “certification” to ever be allowed to fly at all, let alone in “urban areas”. That way, they NEVER have to PROVE any of what they are saying. This is “The Professor Crackpot Way”: Make “the story” so complicated that nobody could ever expect you to build one and run it.

And by the way, the whole “urban” excuse, is reminiscent of Professor Crackpot’s (often drag-based) vertical-axis wind turbines - always said to be “ideal for urban environments” since it “responds to winds from any direction”, and “spins in the slightest breeze!” Of course the implication is a wind energy systems at a low height, surrounded by buildings that block the real wind, or even at ground level in someone’s back yard. This is where again, using trick words like “urban”, with all the political correctness and guilt trips that word alone entails, the promoters try to position their nonsense in such a way that nobody would dare question any of what they say, and since most people know nothing of wind energy anyway, being “responsive to low winds” and “turbulent winds” from “any direction” sounds great! It just makes no sense, but people not only “don’t know”, they “don’t know that they don’t know” so they just “believe” whatever nonsense is being promoted. “Sounds great!” is what they think, and the good professor gets another round of funding!

Even more ridiculous, these CoFlow promoters are onto (talking about) flying one on freakin’ MARS!!! OK so let me get this straight, Professor CRACKPOT, you can’t even build an RC model or a Piper Cub in the thick atmosphere of Earth, even using a gasoline-powered engine, but you TALK about flying an electric one on Mars, which would be literally 100 times as difficult as on Earth, or more when you consider the fact that Earth’s atmosphere supports being powered by a lightweight gasoline or jet fuel engine(s)!

They have renderings of a production model airplane weighing over a ton, and talk about its capabilities as though it actually exists (one more “symptom” of “the syndrome”), but they can’t be bothered to build a demonstration powered by anything, at any scale, no matter how long the years roll on.

So anyway, like so many ideas, I love this one at first glance, but let’s see one working!!! :slight_smile:

I think you may be wrong on this one @dougselsam. The compressor will increase the lift on Mars

Hi Tallak:
I’m not seeing any fleshing out of your statement. What we call “Lift”, treats air as an incompressible flow, and is relative to a certain ambient air pressure and density to even work. The vacuum above a wing is only effective relative to the remaining air pressure below the wing, which is what is actually lifting the wing, just as the relative air pressure is what lifts water in a drinking straw when you apply suction at the top to drink. In a vacuum, a drinking straw would not work.

Similarly, adding compressed air to blow over a wing in a near vacuum might be expected to push down on the wing rather than seeming to “pull” up.

So, anyway, I’m not sure what you mean by me being “wrong” in expressing skepticism over the efficacy of a blown wing to somehow “rescue” the concept of an electric airplane (a flying, heavy battery pack) on Mars. In aircraft design, light weight is the MAIN and most important design driver. This is multiplied by over two (2) orders of magnitude on Mars. So, if these bozos with their now-ancient concept of a blown wing, still barely even demonstrated in an atmosphere 180 times as thick as that of Mars, and still not being utilized even on Earth, have any confidence in this idea, I’d like to know why.

I’d feel sorry for any effort to combine super-heavy electric battery propulsion, AND distributed drive (many small propellers), AND the extra weight of ducting and “mini-compressors”, in what could only, legitimately, be described as a near perfect vacuum, equivalent to the nearly outer-space rarefied low density of air at 60 miles altitude here on Earth.

Sounds like more “all-ya-gotta-do-is” thinking, which as we know from all the endless “press-release breakthroughs”, is endlessly celebrated, but seldom realized, forming the clickbait-oriented fake reality we find ourselves currently immersed in.

STOL contests may not be the only defining factor in aviation, but for any system purporting to generate so much extra lift, it would be the obvious starting point to prove their theories beyond any doubt - a starting place for establishing minimal credibility.

In fact, I could scarcely imagine developing such a theory and supposed “breakthrough” lift augmentation technology without ever trying it in a STOL competition, or at the very least, building prototypes, even at an RC scale, to prove how “good” it “really is”. Anyone having a good way to augment lift to that degree would, in my mind, be inexorably drawn to building a STOL airplane, or even helping existing STOL competitors to incorporate such a system in their existing planes. As we’ve noted here in this forum before, regarding the years of silence by most AWE efforts, we can often glean more information from what is NOT being done or said, than what IS done (or mostly just “said”).
:slight_smile:

Sorry I am just taunting you, probably wasting your time

It’s OK, I’ve been watching a few videos lately on the problems with “terraforming Mars”, and there are many dealbreaker aspects I never thought of, in addition to the ways I’ve thought might work, and all the problems I was already aware of.

I’ve always thought there is probably life on Mars, and even the moon and other celestial bodies, at a certain depth where the regolith is warm and wet. “Germs and worms” is what I call it.

I call the alternative “the sterile universe theory”, which is that the entire universe is completely sterile, with no life of any kind anywhere but here. That was what official “science” believed when I was a kid. of course, going back a few years before that, even scientific papers had to be couched in religious language to even be published and avoid being strung up for heresy for even noticing that maybe it was the Earth that was spinning, rather than the whole rest of the universe!

Today, we’re not much further along - “science” is currently convinced that, rather than spinning, the whole universe is “expanding faster and faster”, inventing concepts like “dark matter” and “dark energy” to fit in with their theories that do not take into account the experience that many observations that seem “obvious”, (like the whole universe spinning around once per day) are optical illusions based on our lack of knowledge, rather than defining some whacked-out reality.

For well over a decade, I’ve owned the domain “martianlife.com”, as well as “developmars.com”, thinking someday, when they finally discover that there IS life on Mars, even if that life is US settling there, maybe the domains will be suddenly relevant. Beyond that, they could be used as platforms for thinking about what all the options might be.

I think Elon has a good point that we could currently be in a small window of time where we have the capability to even go to Mars, let alone settle people on that planet, which could form the fork in the road that determines whether humanity even has a chance to keep developing, versus degenerating into our previous, more primitive and animal-like state, which seems equally likely.