Lightweight Tower Construction - lattice towers and guying

A topic about guying.

A topic about lightweight tower construction.

It’s a strange take I think to discount guying. The whole point of AWE is to increase the members in tension and to decrease the length of cantilevers.

Suspension bridges and other structures using cables would have the same drawbacks that guyed wind turbine towers would have. The problems don’t seem to actually exist or matter much though.

You’d need 5-6 times as much steel as you need for a typical height wind turbine tower, using the standard design, to make it twice as tall: https://youtu.be/Jk02_MzyLBI?t=534 (turn on cc and auto-translate). If you build it like the Eiffel tower, you only need 3 times as much.

2 Likes

The measurement lattice mast is 300 m high, and only 1.20 m wide (as specified in the text and at 0: 30), thanks to the guy wires.

The planned wind turbine on a 300 m high lattice tower (9: 20) does not appear to be guyed. However, the base is very wide.

As well as saving a lot of weight, the lattice structure offers much less resistance to the wind blowing through it, as explained at 9:27.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Slow Chat II

I really like the idea of using space net style architecture for AWES
From the company website

to suspend light generation devices in tensile hexagonal cells between valley walls…
I made a design sketch a few months back

Hello Roddy:
I think I was maybe 20 years ahead of you on that.
I posted this pic from circa year 2000, a couple weeks ago but now I can’t find it - probably moved to some new “topic” or just deleted for its potentially factual, or at least helpful, content…

Hexagons are kind of like the inverse of triangles I think. If bubbles made a regular shape in a plane, they would make a honeycomb pattern. To connect the bubbles, or balloons, together you would use a net made out of triangles. Here your AWESs would be the round bubbles that sit inside the larger hexagon clearing made by the triangular net. The net would be the icosahedron, the AWESs the truncated icosahedron.

Valleys I don’t know, not everywhere has valleys, but nets and towers working together is at least interesting I think.