Low radius loop

There is no power for an AWES if the lines are static such as this, The arrangment as recoreded would be perfect for downwind sailing. Exceptional actually. For an AWES however power from the kite is associated with the tension on the lines being let out. So the question here is; what is the optimum shape/flight path as the lines extend under tension?

Are we going for a long cycle where we let say 100m of line out then recover the kite? or is it better to have a kite that oscillates between 50-60 meters and recoups/resets after every loop or so? Perhaps there can be a scheme that takes advantage of gusts and subsequent lulls?

My tests were aimed at measuring the force I indicated, not directly the power in reeling mode, which can however be easily deduced by multiplying the force (N, so here about 40 N) by the reel-out speed (1/3 wind speed) and then by 4/9 because of a lower apparent wind. Result with 4 m/s wind speed: 23.7 W. (L/D)² was about 7. We then come back to the classic formula, here without counting cosine losses: kite area (about 0.6 m²) x 1.2 (air density) x 2/27 x wind speed³ x (L/D)².

I’ve been diving deep into your tests on kite force and the way you’ve approached power in the reeling mode. Your results, especially the 23.7 W power output at 4 m/s wind speed and the L/D squared value around 7, got me thinking.

I’m playing with an idea, kind of like how a clock’s escapement mechanism works. Imagine a system that adjusts its resistance when the kite’s tension goes beyond a set threshold. So, if we hit a certain torque, we’d let the line out at 0.2 meters every second.

Let:

T = tension
T_threshold = our set threshold

Rate of line release (R):

R = 0, if T < T_threshold
R = 0.2 meters/second, if T >= T_threshold

When the tension (T) increases, motors would need compensate to keep the line payout consistent. This isn’t about spinning faster, but adding resistance.

Breaking it down:

Motor voltage is determined from a raw value and scaled.
Motor current is calculated as: Motor voltage divided by Motor’s internal resistance.
Line tension is then derived from this motor current.
The motor’s effort adjusts based on the difference between the current tension and our set threshold. It’s a feedback loop that keeps the line payout consistent, no matter the pull on the line.

Just like how cruise control in a car maintains a consistent speed regardless of uphill or downhill terrain, the motor system ensures the kite line is pulled out at a steady rate. Even if the kite’s pull varies, similar to a car facing different slopes, the system adjusts itself to keep the line’s release consistent, ensuring the kite ascends at the rate.

When orbiting, the difference between all the control lines remains relatively static, in the video below you see that during a loop only slight inputs need to be made to the tether line line while the other line orbits around

1 Like

I measured only the force. You can see on the video (0:26) that the force peaks at 50 N at the top and then gradually decreases as the kite descends, certainly because the wind (being measured at 4 m/s at my height) was stronger at the top, which more than compensated for the cosine loss.

The power is only deduced by calculation, and has not been tested as such.

Measuring force was a prudent move. To emulate drawing energy from the system, one could just walk downwind with the kite. I’ve observed that when looping the kite, it’s smoother if there isn’t a twist build up in the line. The mathematical rationale behind this is still something I’m trying to decipher.

I don’t understand how the tether tension/power is only a function of the kite area and the wind velocity. What if the kite rotates faster and sweeps more area? Doesn’t the power increase?

(L/D)² is in the formula. This is the ratio of lift to drag squared. The higher (L/D)², the more power the kite generates.

To control the loop with a single tether, we can implement a pod like on

We add some weight with the pod, but also save weight by using a single tether (as for SkySails system).

That said OKE Precision Winch "Reel and Rotate" Technology maybe could remove the requirement of a control pod by using cyclic lengthening and shortening of the orbital tether.

I don’t see how spinning the kite faster or increasing the swept area causes the L/D ratio to increase. Does this mean that the ratio varies with the effective wind velocity?

It’s the other way round.

No, it depends on the kite’s characteristics. By a same wind speed, the kite will fly faster with a high L/D ratio than with a low L/D ratio.

The more regular power generated by low radius loop can be an advantage in addition to the advantage of using less space.

That said in yo-yo mode, given the current art, a pod is required to achieve the control of different phases and of steering without losing altitude if possible. But a pod can be too heavy, while a lighter system aloft can be sufficient thanks to the simplicity of the loop path. Perhaps some device like OKE Precision Winch "Reel and Rotate" Technology with an adaptation for reeling-mode to generate electricity would be suitable.

2 Likes