SuperTurbine (tm) and Serpentine, and other torque transfer systems

Keep in mind that the topic is about torque transfer systems. Mechanical arrangements such as Gyrokites have been discussed in this topic, but are not concerned.

So I challenge you to disprove my statement with anything other than vague terms like “likely”. A photo? A video? A demonstration? Good luck.

I have already shown, with links and videos, the devastating effects of the catenary sag, multiplying the mass of the system according to shaft length, in addition to the increase of mass by scaling. The forces that could mitigate this effect would be the thrust of the rotors, and the lift of the lifting kite (which is a lower force as shown by the low elevation angle). However, the thrust of the rotors is a horizontal force: this leaves very little margin from a certain scaling, not to mention the irregularities caused by variations in the proportions between the aerodynamic forces (lift and thrust) and the weight, depending on variations in wind speed.

Some old experiment about the horizontal thrust of a rotor around its fixed axis, in wind direction, even when it is tilted:

No. PTO of torque transfer systems start from the ground, while PTO of flygen systems are aloft.
As an indirect consequence, flygen systems fly dozens of times higher than any torque transfer system.

Well, for me, the torque transfer system is something that has been talked about for years and that I have been involved in. Now I’m only interested in systems that can reach a reasonable height, beyond the height of a stepladder.

But I’m open to any success…

1 Like