The Spinning Drone Paradox

I agree Tallak. And most people don;t know that a reflexed (trailing edge of an) airfoil helps mitigate forward pitching moment, sometimes seen in helicopter blades and almost always on hang-glider wings and other tail-less designs.
Here’s what I am left wondering though: Why did you post this comment about “The Spinning Drone Paradox” in the topic “Random Engineering, Physics…Concepts and Ideas” when there is already an active topic called “The Spinning Drone Paradox”?
You say you are a “moderator” here, and while I’m still trying to understand what useful purpose “moderators” provide, one thing they frequently do in this forum is re-organize topic names and categories, naming new “topics”, and which post appears in what topic, and when. So why do you, as a moderator, publish a comment regarding one active topic, into a different topic?

It would be nice if the post was moved, I was not aware.

I said I am not really a moderator, though I have sufficient priveleges. Others are doing the job better than I could, as per your comment above

To be honest, I dont know even how to move the thread now

And also the tricopter mode (video at 8:18), where the arm wings are not spinning: the device flies like a plane. A crosswind AWES with easier VTOL could perhaps be envisaged.

That said the rotary flygen (Bladetips like) system, as I would envisage, remains to prove. I think about a fully automated small system (indeed scaling is difficult) for an individual use: this looks to be an easier solution for any automated AWES if it can work.

The wake effect on the secondary turbines (that I do not know) can also be observed on flygen wings (Makani), but at a far lesser level since the radius of the flight path is far higher, and since there is only one wing. A two-bladed version could mitigate a little the wake effect.

I cant help imagining that a 1.5 MW system would look like three Makani M600 attached at the wingtips with a really complicated device at center.

If you are looking for a 1 kW unit this looks ok, for 1 MW I would look elsewhere

1 Like

Hi Doug, I made a mistake concerning the present tricopter (but not for Enerkite for what I think). I re-edited, and added a sketch (below): anhedral for the tricopter (not dihedral).

In tricopter mode (video at 8:18), the lower wings form an anhedral angle, while the third wing is the vertical stabilizer. The wings of Enerkite seem also to form an anhedral angle. This angle can be suitable to improve stability.

anhedral

This is one of the interesting features of this three-mode drone.

Hi Pierre:
Seems like maybe you have dihedral and anhedral backwards.
Also, looking at enerkite images, not sure if it has anhedral OR Dihedral.
Looks basically flat with swept wings.
:slight_smile:

It is difficult to gauge if Enerkite is dihedral or anhedral. The foils around the tips may make a difference and also such anhedral or dihedral may be just a few degrees.

Anyways; Enerkite has plenty dihedral effect I would assume, due to the highly swept wing

Similar theme
Levitator 1

2 Likes

Nick Rehm has updated the Spinning drone with rotary position awareness.
This has brought a level of rotor control which I’m sure @someAWE_cb will be interested in.
Has full control of steering with only 1 / 3 motors working

2 Likes

In addition to the previous comment:

Text on the attached video, at 0:08:

Red is powered, blue and yellow props are windmilling

Another video, including a two-rotor drone version at 0: 55: