Towards a viable AWES

Among my proposals in sketches or realizations (FlygenKite), I may prefer this one (below) which I have attached to this comment:

Manufacturing and implementation are facilitated by the fact that the assembly is in rotation which also ensures gyroscopic stability. Solar panels could provide hydrogen or contribute to the supply of electricity which is mainly produced via the secondary turbines.

The central lenticular airship rotates with its blades and provide some aerodynamic (in addition to that of blades) and aerostatic lift, and is settled in the middle where the potential of sweeping is lower.

The drag of the lenticular airship slows down the rotation but not too much as the rotational speed is not high compared to that of the ends of the blades.

A cyclic control of the length of the bridle strands is necessary in order to keep the angle of attack ensuring lift during the rotation.

The shape facilitates takeoff and landing by being simple (nothing dangling, and the symmetrical shape, including that of the lenticular airship, are assets), and by using secondary turbines as motors-propellers.

A variant with longer blades and a smaller central lenticular airship is a possibility:

1 Like