Yahoo group moving

Pretty sure it’s it’s the legal ramification of publishing they don’t want to deal with. The server cost should be negligable.

Absolutely. Unfortunately coordination is hard. If it would depend on it being run by a good institution it the forum wouldn’t exist. Me just doing it is the onnly solution I see at the moment. But when I get around to it I’ll set up passwords so that if two of you come together you can unlock all my site related passwords in case of my untimely demise.
I got the monetary side covered, but if someone wants to chip in they may do so :slight_smile:

@Rodread
@JoeFaust is sharing an archive of the old forum Old Forum Archive Airborne Wind Energy AirborneWindEnergy AWES
I’ve got a backup (which itself isn’t properly backed up though)

1 Like

Believe it or not, but the Yahoo implementation was never a critical limitation. We just wanted to make sure that AWE ideas that Google might try to own as IP were put into the public domain by us first, and any vehicle was good enough.

Given all the webcrawlers and personal email mirrors, there must be thousands of copies. Yahoo Group’s search feature was not even needed by anyone who simply searched their own mail. It all could have been FidoNet or clay tablets.

It was a bit of a puzzle when the next generation came along and seemingly cared more about gamified frills and Orwellian moderation widgets than the conceptual pioneering AWE part. That a modern software engineer could hardly get Yahoo Groups to work, and folks who seemed to actually want Google to “lead” in AWE, was just a sign of changing times.

This Forum may even be less archivable and searchable in the end. Its not being used much to present AWE ideas for the first time in public. Even freely coining new terms of art is seen as an affront to moderation (eg. cosine-functions controversy). Let’s hope it does as well as the Old Forum, on the knowledge side.

So my reason for being here is all about interaction and zero about Google and IP. It seems we have quite different opinions on their relative importance. This is why I am not very concerned with archival. Who has time for searching old forums anyway… the most recent knowledge will always be in the last year’s worth of posts. And more important stuff will eventually trickle down into books.

By knowing the biggest value of a forum, you can align the efforts you put into those. From my perspective, the most important goals would be:

• keep the forum alive
  • keep it open for everyone
  • make it welcoming to new users

By supporting a largest possible AWE community, we ensure more great minds to figure out AWE as soon as possible.

I would add another goal: contribute to make electric production AWE a reality in wind energy.

Yes Pierre,

The Old Forum was founded with the understanding that electrical generation was part of averting global catastrophe. Of course we also considered all kinds of direct AWE work, like dredging up sea dikes to protect coastal cities from sea-level rise, reverse hydro, desalination, irrigation, and countless other jobs.

Ok Rod, Here is a 2nd revised text to fairly reflect the Old Forum founding intent to pre-empt Google AWE IP, which of course did not reflect the opinions of everyone who later posted, including Google folks and fans.

Tallak “zero (interest) about Google and IP”

Tallak, we all agree on your worthy social media ideals, just not about Google’s legacy in AWE R&D. The Old Forum was urgently founded in fear of Google AWE IP domination. Open-AWE won the knowledge quest. Google helpfully showed the wrong way to do AWE, given current TRL reality.

No one expects Google to help make our forums what we want. The fortune Google blew would have done wonders if spread in socially welcoming fashion across the entire global R&D community. Part of the complexity is how Google AWE is welcomed in Norway, even to crash without public Mishap Reporting, but least welcome in the US, where he latest trend is mass-rebellion by Google’s workers. Sample coverage of the growing battle-

The founding Old Forum view was ultimately that AWE is about saving us from global catastrophe, never about ignoring or perhaps admiring Google’s venture capitalism. Old Forum founders tended to implicitly equate corporate fascism with government fascism, in effect lumping Google with world players like PRC regime, while focusing like no folks ever before on advanced kite knowledge. The New Forum may be founded on far different priorities and beliefs.

Yeah, as long as they repeat your indoctrination.
I see the EXACT same problem with this forum as the old one:
Truth is the enemy.
True-believers with their own slanted version of wannabe reality SAY they have an “open forum” but every day I get some message saying my posts are deleted, hidden, censored, whatever, based on whether my posts agree with the implanted “opinions” of the relative newbies running the forum, based on their indoctrination. This has become an epidemic on the internet. It seems that people inclined to run an “open forum” are almost guaranteed to immediately attempt to eliminate any opinion that could conflict with what has been implanted in their own brain. Truth is the first casualty.

Doug.

Thousands of your Forums posts exist in permanent readable form. Its just that the flags here cause your text to be fainter, but still readable. Stop worrying that your ideas are suppressed, they are just not seen as very helpful. If you know how to do AWE better, share that.