A "crackpot" design

The “crackpot” term is often used by @dougselsam. It refers to both crazy designs and conformist attitudes.
I will try to produce a design as crackpot as possible. I may have done this in several (if not all) previous messages.:wink:

So two counter-rotating bladeless rotors rotate two balloon filled with helium, using angle gears, that produce thus some Magnus effect. The force is used during the yoyo reel-out phase. During the reel-in phase the direction of rotation of the rotors is reversed.

I would guess some methods now well reputed will enter this rubric.

2 Likes

I say lets keep an open mind and provide honest feedback. One can only have an opinion. The idea owner can choose to listen to feedback or not.

I usually think: You can prove something is possible, but it is often difficult to prove something is impossible. Therefore one should be critical to “naysayers”, if you think something is possible.

Of course, negative feedback is most times a signal that the idea is not that good. But often bad ideas have some useful insight that might be used at a later time.

1 Like

Some extract of the last interview:

_What do you plan?
_Simulations are promising. As we are careful and informed 50 small 100 MW unities will feed the East Coast.
Indeed we prefer begin small before starting GW scale.
_ You plan it for when?
_ The next year.
_ But you told it one year ago.
_ Right, we told “the next year” one year ago, then now we tell the same, always “the next year”.
_ And now, besides “the next year”?
_ We are studying a project for remote areas.

The downwind rotor contains blades with variable pitch, producing the stall-returning effect. The flow is not slowed as for devices that are subject to Betz limit. By the stall-returning effect the flow bounces back as soon as it crosses both rotors, keeping its kinetic energy. So the flow is multiplied in layers as the Betz limit is multiplied, becoming 2.5 instead of 0.59, but not more due to the losses by bouncing back. The Cp is expected to be about 2.