BRM PARAWING FIRST IMPRESSIONS & REVIEW

The BRM parawing is a replacement for LEI wings in wingfoiling. It’s a single skin kite held at the bridle point on a single bar. The bar is aligned front to back with adjustable bridle setting on the bar.

This approach could surely be built into/adapted for some AWES
certainly could be built into a daisy kite turbine

1 Like

Another video:

It seems to expand and close easily. Indeed, multiple AWE uses could be envisaged, as is or as a kite or rotor blade.

Two opposite wings, like for RotoKite;
multiple wings, like Network Kites and Daisy network kite rotors;
as is (adding two lines) by using the bar like for FlygenKite

Also large wings, well developed bridle, short or no tether could perhaps be a way to Unlock the market by shortening the tether.
Single skin wings seem to progress.

Great that it’s a simple single bar, but
Wondering how much the bar will evolve?
Pitch control comes from tilting the bar up and down, which gives you a good depower.
Steering control comes from twisting the bar. Which is odd as it kinda skews the kite around by varying bridle tensions diagonally across the inflated skin. It’s not a strong typical kite steering mechanism.

Interesting also is that middle bridle set can slide up and down the bar… Does this alter the camber shape of the skin much? Could that middle strap be extended to give a big belly, And tightened to flatten the sail? Would there be much point as you already have a large depower range?

Do you reckon the central bridle connect could come with little bar winglets for a twist steering? Or would that be too tough on the wrists, Tricky to pack away…?

HOLY COW just seen the price - Nice mark up for some cloth and string work

The Born Street star 4 seems like a better bargain

Similar configuration - longer bridles

However… Born_Kite themselves advised me against using their kite
(I think they kinda misunderstood my intended application of their wing)
And the fact I’d mostly just play with it
And what sales are… anyways, the message was

Hello Rod,

It’s an interesting project you’re working on.

Unfortunately, our NasaStar4 is unsuitable for your purposes. The NS4 is not a static kite, it is flown dynamically.

A few years ago, the company KiteGen used the NasaStar for test purposes, and it worked quite well.

However, I think there is a problem with canvas kites generating long-term energy. Rainy weather puts a strain on the kite, the weight increases drastically and the permanent UV radiation causes the canvas to age quickly.

But maybe the material properties will change in the future and kites will then be better suited for this purpose.

We wish you every success with your project.

Best greetings from Germany,
…the BORN-KITE team

Thanks for sharing this; I wanted to share as well ! This is a nice follow up for wingfoiling.

The use of the bar as this was already done at least 5 years before by Gurval Lego https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNvvKcKv278 and already with the name parawing.

Gurval was also using another version (named keystone) where the bar is replaced by a modified windsurf wishbone handle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WjMwrRMMSQ
This enables to use longer lines with some left/right differential, as suggested by Rod.
It is a bit similar to the “cage Darlet” which is used in paraglider (This is the first english link I found on google) Cage PG Members

1 Like