Control and lift of a rotating AWES by cyclic variations of the length of the bridle strands

There are several means to ensure the lift of a rotating AWES: using a lifting kite; using cyclic pitch control of the blades; using a body as for an auto-gyro-like kite or a frame as for the Big Rotor Kite.

I wonder if we could add the cyclic variations of the length of the bridle strands in order to keep the same angle of attack of the tilted rotating device during the rotation, by using a sort of control pod with suitable pulleys.

1 Like

This is effectively what the control system developed by @someAWE_cb and Freiburg folks did.
A stabilised offset cam in a hub shortened and released bridles as the rotor spun.
This affects pitch and probably bank angle too.

Pretty sure some guy called @dougselsam had this written up as an idea - yonks ago.

This is also what @tallakt was proposing in Pyramid design.

Misalignment of the lower sections of a TRPT to a kite turbine rotor can have a somewhat ~similar effect of differential tensioning across the lines.

What I describe would not specially (and perhaps not at all) apply to TRPT but rather to flygen rotating AWES. The cyclical variations in bridle length would not be intended to cyclically vary the pitch of the blades which remain fixed, but only to allow the rotating kite to maintain the same tilted angle of attack during rotation, so its lift. I don’t think I’ve seen this elsewhere, and I don’t still know if this can work.

1 Like