Fairing around tethers also to add lift?

About fairing of a tether:
https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2009142762A1/ru

About of fairing of a submarine cable:

Reducing the drag of a tether is an objective. The means described, such as the profiling of the tether, may suggest that it is also possible to add lift with an appropriate angle of attack, by means of alternative architectures in which only the tethers and their fairing elements are retained, thus perhaps becoming a flexible tether-blade rotor hold by suspension lines (also including fairings?).

1 Like

Yes. And there are stable wing profiles out there used by flying wings that could be used so that the fairing would be stable in pitch and still lifting (reflex profiles)

I think a problem would be friction between the tether and fairing. If the fairing is just sliding, the pitch angle will be wrong. At least I see this. most likely. If you add ball bearings, it will be heavy and complex. If you use vibrators, things fall apart and you get noise…

There are other uses I thought of but could not share at this time. :stuck_out_tongue:

We discussed fairings as part of TRPT
Lift in that case would be best aligned to provide a shaft expansion force.

An example with the sketch below:

1 Like

Other examples:

1 Like

My finding is that for long tethers the mass of the fairing can have a very detrimental effect, maybe more than is gained by fairing lift.

I was talking about this at AWEC a while back « The Second, Most Important, Law of Tether Scaling» https://repository.tudelft.nl/islandora/object/uuid%3A49b5b389-b6cd-4b8a-8e24-b5e6a3cbfa9a

I dont much like two tethers in a single fairing. Sounds like too much friction to make much sense.

1 Like

I have no certainty about these concepts.

The general idea is to see if we can use the tether(s) as a kind of tensile wing spar(s), and whose tension would allow to install a large kite 2 surface area perpendicular to that of the “normal” kite 1 at the top.

I rather see a ram kite 2 whose internal profiles have reinforced holes to allow the tethers to slide so that the ram kite 2 can be tensioned during flight, or released during recovery or reel-in phase.

Two tethers (leading and trailing edges) can perhaps be used to better control a large area than a single tether.

For a rotating CSR, with a lot of luck and the right proportions, kites 1 and 2 with perpendicular thrust would make complex drag-generating bridles unnecessary.

More likely, kite 1 will need to be as large as kite 2 to provide sufficient tension for the whole assembly to fly.