I think projection mapping is a good way, but a potentially big problem for aircraft. From what I gather you dont send high intensity light into the night sky for these reasons.
After thinking about this overnight, I think the following setup could work:
- one or more lifter kites in a network
- a large inflatable ring (like a kitesurf LEI leading edge)
- wings bridled inside the ring (the wings make the ring rotate
- Adressable led strips. Depending on how fast you rotate, you need every point inside the ring to be serviced by a LED strip >10 Hz. The strips are placed in a star bridle inside the ring. The number of arms of the star given by above requirement
- computer control of the LED strips dependent on current roll angle of the ring
In theory you could with little effort show live video inside the area of the ring.
I asked around, and eg concerts would buy this as a service.
I am not sure if this could be made profitable though. Your customers would often be let down by lack of wind (usually we have very little wind nighttime) or too much wind, or rain, or lack of launching space, or QHSE considerations etc