Betz limit and power available in the wind

Torque AWES like Daisy or SuperTurbine ™ can be assimilated to “drag” devices (flygens like Makani wings) or even conventional wind turbines, because the swept area does not move. So they are subject to the Betz limit (16/27).

In contrast pulling (yo-yo mode) AWES are subject to a limit of 4/27 of the swept area because it is going downwind at theoretically 1/3 wind speed, whether the use of crosswind or static (tethered-aligned) AWES.

In my last comment I wanted to show that a tethered-aligned AWES could go beyond the limit of 4/27 if the drag coefficient is higher than 1. I exposed a different conception where the swept area is the reference, in contrast to the usual reference of the kite area, at least for yo-yo mode. Parachutes with High drag coefficient and Parasails could lead to a better optimization of the swept area, so a better Power to space use ratio.

And we should keep in mind that the generation component of any AWES (as for a conventional wind turbine) always goes horizontal, being opposed to the lift component which goes vertical. It is the reason why crosswind kites flight at an average elevation angle of only about 30-35 degrees, so not too far from the horinzontal in order to mitigate cosine loss.

This is possible for well-sharpened rigid wings like the rigid blades of a gyroplane rotor. But as such a rotor scales up, the mass will quickly become much higher (squared-cubed scaling law for rigid things) than that of the parachute which “fills” the swept area. So, in yo-yo use, 30x power is not useful if we reason by swept area (here where the power available in the wind is limited to 4/27) as we should in my opinion.

1 Like