Preprint: Towards a gigantic Magnus balloon with motorized belts

I don’t think so. The whole idea is dumb. But if you want to make a balloon I think hydrogen is the best option. Helium is not an option and using humid air or steam or hot air requires you to use infinite material and development time and constant energy input for minimal lift and questionable performance. You’d also need to increase pressure to above ambient to resist wind loading and bending moments, reducing your already limited lifting capacity.

I bet hydrogen is better than that. You can produce the hydrogen sustainably, try to reduce leakage and leaks, and monitor the hydrogen to oxygen ratio. The earlier discussion on hydrogen had people saying air would go in through the fabric, I have seen no evidence of that. Maybe you could have constant sparks in the balloon to controllably get rid of the oxygen that did manage to get in.

I don’t know about aerogel. Is that not quite brittle? You’d want something that is not brittle, like this for example:

English: HeiDAS_UH_en.pdf (808.8 KB)

German: HeiDAS_DGLRKongress2005.pdf (988.6 KB)

Dead link: http://aeroix.de/fileadmin/user_upload/aeroix/redakteure/Dokumente_HeiDAS/2007AIAAHeiDASUH.pdf

Related: