Safety management in a kite-farm allowing more density

We will assume that the flight management difficulties are resolved for an unit.

We will also assume that the collisions between the kites are not very serious and even possibly avoidable by control: at first we will be confined in flexible wings flying relatively slowly.

The problem of entanglement between units has already been mentioned. Indeed the direction of the wind can vary very quickly and asymmetrically, even in a small area. One solution is to space more. Another possibility would be to manage the control systems in such a way as to allow untangling by pair of units, then the whole if necessary. Then check if the tethers are still in good condition.

An example: a wing and its tether wraps around its neighbor. In this case, the programmer tells it to turn around in the opposite direction. In the event of failure, the programmer of the other wing is automatically activated, resulting in redundancy. These maneuvers can be experienced.

Another case: the tether of a wing is broken. The other wings flying downwind are piloted in order to intercept the wing, and therefore used as dam kites.

As a programmer solving this seems very difficult. Also; If kites tangle you may also have secondary catching up of the tether and other parts of the kite, such as the wing.

I think sufficient space and muliti kite synchronization is the only way forward.

Kite networks are ok also

I was talking about single line units like most companies envision.

More space is a possibility, but greater density will always have advantages and is sought after for all power plants.

Syncing is a good thing, but you need to plan how to react in the event of a tangling, which is very likely if AWE occurs at this point.

When it comes to kite networks or multi-kite systems, you have to see how they are laid out. They may not prevent the risk of damage despite proper management. The wind is not predictable.

That’s why you have to think about managing two things: avoiding problems as much as possible with a more favorable architecture, and countering them when they arise.

Of course these are just a little abstract thoughts at the moment.

I think there are some ways to approach the question of: what is the minimum spacing that makes tangles highly unlikely?

The wind at probable sites may be mapped eg by Lidar or by placing multiple kites in the air. Then use that wind data, which contains information about turbulences, to simulate an array of AWE.

I believe for most parts kite arrays will move mostly in sync. The number to keep track of I guess is the size of the turbulent flows. Eg turbulence with size around 50 m can be bad, but 200 m is not so bad. Much like waves and ship length combining for good or bad effect.

You’ll be lucky to get a tangle
UHMWPE has a very low melting point.
The lines are very tight and thin.
Two lines clashing will deform and rub at a sharp intersection.

when a single kite line rubs against another single line, it’s often a very quick game over for one of the lines. Usually the one not made of higher melting point sewing thread holding a child’s poly-bag kite.

I’ll argue for networks of course… Being able to spread impact loads of the misalignment by having two points of line clash bending a single line… might help a bit
A net doesn’t tangle much… Think of the many threads in your sock / sleeve. You can twist, and bash them together but it doesn’t change their main topology.

Good point. Fishing nets and trawls may be a source of investigating behavior in turbulent flow.

1 Like

I spent a lot of time around Fish farm cages pulling nets

The fish could be (Daisy or other) turbines attached to the meshes of the net.

Hard to market that. People would object to the smell and there are welfare & hygiene concerns