Windswept and Interesting Ltd

Early hour internet trawling.

Love to say I’m graduate level? Basic fabrication skill. Minor assembly skills. The old c&g 6983. Which is somewhat out of date? Due to technical Advances. Heck additive manufacturing wasnt much a thing in the Early 2000s in my region. Cnc machining was huge? Even got to to push the button once? Long time ago? Parts of A330 Titanium landing assembly. Was rather awesome to see?

Great to hear there’ a job going? Just depends what exactly you require?

3 Likes

The history, punctuated by several PDF, allows you to see the evolution of this company since 2012.

Thanks for re-posting - I hadn’t seen the ad myself yet.
We need ~50 shit hot engineers this week to fill the sky with turbines if they will be explored as fast as I’d like to see.
In reality - this is a really remote place - Everyone has 10 skilled jobs and commitments to community - We’ll be lucky to fill this post

2 Likes

I would say track down a few of the old guys from Magellan aerospace Bournemouth? I don’t know if and would jump ship in there new jobs? Many would have some knowledge? But I realise get machinist on the job might not be easy? 2020 they closed Bournemouth from what I’ve been told? They had a few good engineer back when I was there? They had two site and I’ve been to both. I don’t know if the sites up for grabs? But if you have the connection? You might be able to track a few of them down? They used to make all sorts there? They would make part from some of the big aircraft? So kites would be a doddle? My best guess would be aerospace? Covid hit them hard and many small companies folded? So it can take time for engineering to find something? I don’t know what tricks you have up yours sleeves? but it might be one place to start? Just depends How big you want windswept to get?

Student AWE Project at DukeU inspired by Rod’s Daisy (information from Dave Santos):

1 Like

created at leisure by Irish Engineer, Roderick Read
:joy::four_leaf_clover::sunglasses:
Ahead of their time these folks
I only got my Irish nationality recognition a week ago
:eu:

2 Likes

From information on 23 papers on AWE published in open access journal Energies

1 Like

Already in the forum about this memorable interview:

1 Like

Very nice interview. I hate though that you totally threw ship AWE totally under the bus :sob: [what you said was actually fine, that was a joke]

I’m waiting for AWE to lift the bus, trying a few things. You and Rod will probably get there :slightly_smiling_face: [and I am serious].

1 Like

Roddy, it gets worse. Go further West: You might be considered American. I just saw a documentary of “How The Earth Was Made”. How the Earth Was Made: The Most DANGEROUS Geological Mysteries Epic Marathon - YouTube
Turns out Scotland was once part of America - about 60 million years ago. The red sandstone around Loch Ness matches the red sandstone around New York City, because Scotland was attached to New York City. That was just before the Atlantic Ocean began to open up and separate the continents. I grew up in NY State, and rumor has it there is some Scotch in the family line. My best friend’s grandma was Scottish, always scolding us with her thick Scottish accent. To this day we imitate her voice whenever we jokingly scold each other! My dad’s company that made sonar was once involved with a survey of Loch Ness to find the “Loch Ness Monster”. They never found it, but he was the one who informed me that “There is so much oil in the world you wouldn’t believe it.” That was way back in the 1970’s, when, as usual, the “official word” was “We are out of oil! It’s all gone!” :slight_smile:

See @Rodread 's comment:

Go with #KiteTurbine if you want super portable wind power.
We’ll be sharing more research on how they scale soon. Main news ditching the static lifter for single rotor versions over 6kW

Hello Rod: this looks to be news about the evolution of your company and Daisy TRPT.
I cannot wait to know the details of what is projected. Did I understand correctly that you are announcing the abandonment of the kite lifter “for single rotor versions over 6 kW”?

Close,
We reckon 6kW is roughly the upper limit that an off the shelf static lift kite would be able to support safely over a broad wind range (~4m/s to 25m/s) given our deployment rig.
The limit comes from the static KAP kite line tension control available and the rotor and TRPT mass requirements through launch and landing. This is for a single rotor kite turbine and TRPT set.

Given that 6kW is the upper bound of a low permission requirement connection to the grid
This may be an interesting level to some niche cases.
But we suspect the additional cost and land use of the launch land handling automation components makes it a small niche with only 6kW of generation value to support it ~ an unlikely product.

The design was based on automating how I used to launch the system by hand
A mistake
Should be based on how a kite turbine wants to be launched by machine.

So static lifters could still have application on small ( Very small / personal scale) kite turbine devices
But much more active lift from the lifter or the rotor (stacked rotors ) will be required in order to scale

2 Likes

Rod, With a kite engine you might be able to run your pilot kite through the center of the daisy, you could also control that line independently

2 Likes

If adaptations of the kite engine are found it could be a big boost for Daisy and perhaps also for @someAWE_cb Open Tensegrity based Airborne Wind Energy System (see also the control at the kite level on Cyclic pitch control for Rotary Airborne Wind Energy Syst. using a rotation compensating slew plate). Almost endless scalability of stacked rotors could become a possibility since each rotor would have its own lift.

1 Like

When using an active kite to support a daisy kite turbine , we will have to consider what happens at the top bearing.
The top bearing is used to lift the kite turbine in launch and land.
The lines which steer the active lifting kite, will have to pass through this bearing.
but also support the thrust added to this bearing which holds up the kite turbine during launch and land.
I suspect the best way to do that is to have a mixer pulley at the centre under this bearing which holds the two forward lines from the upper side, e.g. linked to the active lift kite.
The two forward steer lines from the lower side (linked to the OKE) would also have to pass through the bearing to connect to the upper side lines so that they could actuate the kite against the mixer band

Here’s a rough outline sketch …

The red and green kite lines pass through the thrust bearing (grey) and purple block structure.
The 2 lines attach above the block and bearing onto a belt (red)
The purple block structure holds the thrust bearing to the mixer pulley and guide pulleys.
The belt holds the pulleys and block up while allowing the different lengths of the red and green lines
The blue side of the thrust bearing is used to hold up kite turbine structures.

Thats a little out of my breadth, I think I may have to see a physical version, Do you happen to have a couple printers to test parts out?

Here’s a General Release copy of the Design Reasoning Report Windswept made for the 10kW MVP Automated Kite Turbine Project we ran

4 Likes

Looking forward to the next step in lifter solutions. It’s very cool and appreciated that this is shared openly!

It’s a bit disappointing that one of the main issues is the lifter performance at low windspeeds. It seems like this could have been anticipated by an engineer (not even the best in the world kind of engineer).

From the report:

Prior experience and the standard kite line tension model formulae suggested that the 8m2 lifter should be more than sufficient.

Yet. if you use the standard formula you don’t get high enough lift forces for a 8m2 kite unless you have an unrealistic high lift coefficient (much larger than 1) or a very high wind shear (factor 2).

Thanks
Andreas

2 Likes